Monday, December 31, 2012

December 31, 2012
What a year it has been.  A year of firsts. Firsts for my family, first for Samantha and I, firsts for our state, firsts for many. We rung in the New Year missing one of the most influential people in my life, it was the first beginning without my dad. Many firsts for my mom. First nights alone, then nights here and finally nights in her new home. I have great confidence that Robin (my dad) is smiling on all the successes of my mothers first year without him. There is great sadness but with faith we all have felt great Joy!
In February the State legislature voted to allow same sex couples the right to marry. WOWOOWWOOOWWW. What else can be said?! Of course our excitement was tempered by signature gatherers to place a referendum on the ballot. Samantha and I decided we would run with what we had been given. We decided that evening to Marry, in our church, we were afraid that if the referendum failed that the wind would surely leave our sails. So with a gentle push we chose October 6th to commit ourselves to one another in the eyes of God and in front of those who matter most. God's eyes surely did shine upon us. Everything was perfect for our special day, from the weather to my unexpected (by me), expected (by everyone else) tears of pure Joy. I had no idea a person could feel so much Love. It was the greatest day of my life and one I will cherish through my last breath. On November 6 the people voted. We rejoiced as the numbers to approve out numbered those who would choose for us to never realize the sanctity of marriage. December 6, Samantha and I stood in line to be the 10th marriage license in Clark Co. We were nervous there would be protests and because of that our good friend Chuck chaperoned us. There were NO protests at any licensing office in Washington State that day. The people spoke and peace was recognized. On Dec 9 Pastor Dayle made the journey across the bridge and joined us legally. Amazing.
There were trips and visits with friends. There were ups and downs but all in all 2012 was an exceptional year for me personally.
The tragedies that unfolded in our world are beyond mind blowing. With the tragedies it seems there is always a rebirth of human kindness and a willingness to try and be better. I hope that our memories keep the thoughts in our hearts at the forefront in 2013. There is much to be learned by the tragic decisions some people made. (I don't consider myself a violent person or a gun advocating individual but I do worry that taking guns from the hands of law abiding citizens will not have an affect on those who have no fear of said laws.) One thing I have learned from the tragedies is that we are a people of sensationalism fed by media with no care for our well being. I remember when I was a kid reading older papers from my grandparents youth. When the story in the local paper actually said that "Billy went to his aunts for the weekend" really, this is the news I want to know. I want to know the stories of happiness, success, love, joy, but apparently that doesn't sell papers anymore. We have turned into gawkers of the accidents of life. We feel better about ourselves not because of the good we did but instead because we are better than those poor schmucks on the tube, whether its the news, reality tv or Jerry Springer. We are a nation that feels it's okay to put a young kid and her "hillbilly" family on TV allowing them to think they are stars while all the while they are being made fun of by their "fans".
It disgusts me and I am done with it.
SO here's my Resolve for 2013. I am turning off the News, the reality shows and anything that promotes fear, bad behavior and sensationalism. The Mayans predicted a change; I intend to change.
I intend to be the person my dog believes I am.
I'm ready 2013!

No comments: